Pasta With Eggplant and Zucchini
Serves 4Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 40 minutes prep and cook
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or a combination of coconut and olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, finely diced (or 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes)
- 4 T chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 T dried oregano
- â…› teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 small or one large eggplant
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/2 # dry pasta, like Campanelle, ziti, or fusilli
- 4 T coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 4 T grated Parmesan cheese
Heat 2T coconut oil in a medium saucepan, add the garlic. Cook and stir without browning.
Add the tomatoes, parsley, oregano, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Stir to blend, bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile cut off the ends of the eggplant and peel, cut it into 1-inch cubes. Cut the ends off the zucchini and cut into 1-inch thick cubes.
Heat the next 2T coconut oil in a large skillet. When the oil is very hot, add the eggplant, zucchini, salt and pepper. Cook, tossing, until nicely browned and tender. Add to the tomato sauce. Mix well and cook for 15 minutes. Drop the pasta into salted boiling water and cook to the desired degree of doneness. Drain and reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Return the pasta to the pot, add the reserved cooking liquid, the vegetable and sauce mixture, basil and Parmesan cheese. Toss and serve hot.
*adapted from NY Times Cooking recipe by Pierre Franey